November 15, 2006

where has the time gone?

Well, I wish that I could say that my long abscence was due to a knitting frenzy, but the truth is that I'm kind of bored with my knitting. My granny's Icarus shawl has gotten to a point where it takes me almost an hour to complete two rows, so I just keep setting it aside. Then, the sock I started has reached a point where I only work on it when I am completely and utterly tired. Then, because it was just starting to get cool in Austin, I started knitting a pair of Fetching mitts - I completed one except for the thumb, but I've stopped working on that because the wonderful Texas weather returned to its normal hot self (though today was a nice cool day with winds blowing so hard I felt that I could fly). Add to this the fact that I've been bogged down with tests (3 last week with 2 on the same day), a major group presentation, plus an 8-page research paper that's not even really a research paper. Then I had a mock interview today for one of my business classes which I was totally not prepared for but that was okay because it ended up being nothing serious. Add to that the fact that I'm having roommate problems, and I haven't had time to do much. Luckily, Thanksgiving is next week, so things should calm down for at least a week. Man, I'm looking forward to my Thanksgiving holiday. I've already got it planned out - stuffing myself with good food on Thanksgiving day, sleeping late, catching up on the TV shows I missed (especially Grey's Anatomy and House), knitting lots on my shawl, and reading lots. In fact, I've already started mentally preparing a list of books I want to read over my break. Plus, I can't wait to go home because I will have boxes of books waiting for me! Yay for Barnes and Noble and Amazon!

Speaking of books, here's a book meme that I've been wanting to do for awhile:
1. One book that changed your life:
I really wish that I could remember the title of the book, but I think it might have been The Animal Kingdom ABC by Suzanne Velk (I'm not entirely sure because I just did a random search and can't find a picture to verify). But anyway, this was the very first book that I ever checked out from the library. I was probably in kindergarten or first grade, and we got to go the school library. I remember my teaching reading this book to us, which had these really beautiful illustrations of animals, and I just had to check it out for myself. Each illustration was accompanied by a letter of the alphabet, and I remember falling in love with this book. This probably cemented my love of libraries, books, and art at an early age.
2. One book that you've read more than once:
There are a few books that I've read more than once but I have to say that I've probably read Little Women by Louisa May Alcott the most times. I remember in elementary school that I used to check this book out constantly - I can even remember that it was an old hardcover version that was blue with only the title and author printed on the cover. Then, I'd come home and take an old sheet that normally had the Popples on it and tie it around my waist then go sit in our old brown recliner and start reading my book pretending that I was one of the March sisters. Sadly, after elementary school, I didn't pick the book up again until probably my senior year in high school when I ended up buying the Barnes and Noble Classic version of the novel. I've read it a couple of times since, and I can honestly say it's a book that I will never grow tired of. I also remember in elementary school that I tried to read the other two books about the March family - I read Little Men once and started Jo's Boys but never finished that.
3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
This is tough, but I'm probably going to have to choose Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. This is another book that I've read more than once (actually, I've only read it two times, but it is definitely one of my all-time favorite books), and I can easily picture myself reading the story of Elizabeth and Darcy over and over again until I'm rescued. Plus, when I'm bored, I can always pass time by imagining my very own modern day Darcy.
4. One book that made you laugh:
I actually can't think of one book that has made me laugh. I know that parts of books have made me laugh, but none of them come to mind.
5. One book that made you cry:
Lots of books make me cry. The most recent one I cried over while reading was The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. This book was so good and so sad and so beautiful! I also cried during Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (though oddly enough I didn't cry in the sixth HP book).
6. One book you wish had been written:
Ok, I'm going to fudge this one a bit because the book is currently being written, but it hasn't been published yet so that's good enough for me. I seriously wish that the seventh Harry Potter book was written - I've gone too long without a new Harry Potter and I'm now starting to really get the itch to figure out how the series ends.
7. One book you wish had never been written:
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne. I'm not normally a person to hate books, but I seriously despise this book. I'm also the odd person who actually enjoys the books I had to read during school. But seriously, I hated this book big time, and if it hadn't been for the fact that I had to read the book to write a paper comparing Dimmesdale and Chillingworth.
8. One book you're currently reading:
Persuasion by Jane Austen. I never got to read any Austen in school, so I'm making up for it now. After reading Pride and Prejudice, I became obsessed with Jane Austen and bought most of her books over the summer and just recently ordered Lady Susan which should be waiting for me when I come home for Thanksgiving. After I'm through with this book, I'll start Northanger Abbey and then I'll be through with Austen's main works.
9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Lone Star Nation by H.W. Brands. I bought this books a few years ago when I was at Sam's Club with my mom. I've always loved history, and this book caught my eye. Then, I ended up taking a history class taught by the author - I fell in love with the class and the style of teaching, but I still haven't read this book even though I really want to. Hopefully, I'll start it during my Thanksgiving break.
10. Some favorite books not on this list:
Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien, His Dark Materials Trilogy by Philip Pullman, The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Once and Future King by T.H. White, The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams, The Princess Bride by William Goldman

Okay, I think I've made this post long enough for now. Until next time.

No comments: