December 02, 2006

In honor of the holidays...

...I present a holiday meme!

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Definitely hot chocolate - I've never had eggnog in my life.
2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree?
Santa used to do both. Normally, the big presents like bikes or computers or hamsters were unwrapped (actually, I'd hope that the hamster was unwrapped because otherwise it might have died). Occasionally, the gift that my sister and I shared would be unwrapped. Everything else Santa gave us would be wrapped.
3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
It's colored lights except for the iciscle lights on the house because my mom thinks white is too boring. When I get a house of my own, I'll decorate with white lights.
4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Yep. It's been hung every year over the entranceway by the front door. This year might be different though because we have a new house.
5. When do you put up your decorations?
Sometime before Christmas - I'm really bad at remembering when.
6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Chicken and dressing. My granny used to make it, and now my mom does. It has to be some of the best stuff in the world! And, if I'm lucky, I will have gotten it for Thanksgiving too!
7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child?
I don't know if I'd call this one a favorite but it's the one I remember best. One year for Christmas I'd gotten the movie Wild America and I went completely crazy over it (in fact, I believe that I kissed the cover). My mom got a little offended though because I was way more excited about getting a video than whatever my big present was that year. But, what did you expect - I was in 6th grade and had a huge crush on Jonathan Taylor Thomas.
8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I was in elementary school (I'm not quite sure when but I think maybe about 4th grade), and I discovered the truth about Santa by analyzing his handwriting. Geeky, I know, but I was a geeky kid. Truth was that one year I thought the writing on the tags from Santa looked a lot like my mom's handwriting, and it turns out that it was.
9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Yes, I do. Christmas Eve is when I celebrate Christmas with my dad's side of the family.
10. What kind of decorations are on your Christmas Tree?
Colored lights, an assortment of ornaments that have been collected over the years, and an angel on top.
11. Snow! Love it or Dread?
I like it, but then again, I've never really seen real snow - you know, the kind that actually sticks to the ground and you can form snowballs and snowmen out of. I've lived in Houston my whole life except for when I'm in Austin for school, and while Houston has had snow before, it kind of melts before it hits the ground. And, that's only like every 5 years or something like that. Last time I saw snow in Houston was when it snowed on Christmas Eve a few years back.
12. Can you ice skate?
No, though I have always wanted to.
13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Yep. It was my dog Freckles. I was in 6th grade, and my aunt got my sister and me two Australian Shepherds.
14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Getting to spend time with my family.
15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
The sugar cookies we make each year. It's the only time my mom ever bakes them.
16 What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Making the annual Christmas cookies. Used to be that we'd pick a day, and my aunt would come over and help me and my sister make the sugar cookies. My mom would work on the other cookies with my sister and me helping every now and then. My sister and I would make the sugar cookie dough, and my aunt would roll it out. Then, my sis and me would cut out the shapes with the cookie cutters we fought over. After that, we'd sprinkle them with red and green sugar and then bake them. I miss those days.
17. What tops your tree?
An angel that lights up.
18. What is your favourite holiday book?
The Night Before Christmas. Sadly, it's about the only holiday book I've ever read.
19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Tough choice - I have so many. But, the song I'm most wanting to hear right now is George Strait's When It's Christmas Time In Texas.
20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yummy?
Yummy when I'm in the mood which doesn't happen much.

Knitting content to come soon!

No comments: